Born in Devon in 1968 and now living in Brighton on the south coast of England, I have drawn comics all my life. I fit my practice around a fulltime job at a digital democracy NGO; each side of my life inspiring and informing the other.
I am interested in the power of comics to educate, enrage and create change in the world. As well as the small inequities of everyday life, I tackle global systemic issues, always with some humour and the aim of also putting visually appealing artwork into the world.
Awards and achievements
- My work in progress Satin and Tat was longlisted for the 2019 Laydeez Do Comics award and shortlisted for the Myriad First Graphic Novel Prize.
- 2017 saw the launch of my Draw The Line project website, bringing together more than 100 artists, each depicting a positive political action that anyone can take. In 2020 it became a self-printed book, which sold out within days of its first print run; in 2021 it was published by Street Noise Books.
- In 2016, I successfully crowdfunded to bring a couple of Finnish artists to the UK, to give talks about Freedom of Information and comics to the Civic Tech and arts communities.
- My one-page strip Underdog won second prize in the Thought Bubble comic art competition in 2015.
- My comic about visiting Sweden as a very unconventional model for the clothing brand Gudrun Sjoden was given to every customer on International Women’s Day 2015.
- The Nib (‘Nature’ print edition, 2021)
- Longreads (website for in-depth essays, 2019)
- The Inking Woman (book, Myriad, 2018)
- Draw The Line (online project, worldwide, 2017)
- Illustrated Women In History (zine, UK, 2017)
- Salon of Rejects (zine, UK, 2016)
- Girlfrenzy (zine, UK, 1990s)
- Oh… comics (comic, Canada, 90s)
- Sorry For The Inconvenience, We Are Trying To Save The World (book, 2022)
- Ladies of the Lakes (comic, 2017)
- Two Birds (comic, collaboration with Zara Slattery, 2016)
- Everything My Ten Year-Old Daughter Wore in November (comic, 2016)
- Hello World (comic, 2016)
- Dumb Meets Stoopid (zine, 1993)
Exhibitions, talks and activities
- Cartoon Museum (panel event to launch Draw the Line’s publication, London, 2022)
- LDComics (panel event to launch Draw the Line’s publication, online, 2022)
- Comics Up Close (conference, Kendal, 2021)
- Leeds University (lecture, 2019)
- Panel Show (exhibition, Sunnybank Mills, 2019)
- Panel Borders (podcast interview) (2019)
- The Inking Woman (exhibition, House of Illustration, London, 2018)
- Finnish Feminist Comics Residence (event/talk, Helsinki, 2018)
- LDComics presentations (talsk, London, 2018 and 2020)
- Caption (talk, Brighton, 2017)
- Gosh Comics (talk, London, 2016)
- In store event painting customers (Gudrun Sjoden 2015)
- Freedom of Information and Comics – I organised and chaired a series of four talks (Brighton, London and Hastings, 2016)
- Organised and ran the first few Brighton Sketchcrawls (2009)
- Mistresses of Line (exhibition, Brighton, 1996?)
- Cartoon County (exhibition, Sussex, 1993)
Festivals and conventions
- Lakes International Comics Arts Festival (Kendal, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Rose Tinted Spectacular Zine Fair (Brighton, 2017)
- Thought Bubble (Leeds, 2016)
- Comica (London, 2016)
- Instagram: @myfanwytristram
- Twitter: @mockduck
- Facebook: Myfanwy Tristram Illustrator
- WordPress (this site): over 8,000 subscribers; featured twice on Freshly Pressed