I’ve been drawing comics since I was a young child. Back then, they starred my favourite but obstreperous teddy, Pink Bear.
These days they’re more likely to focus on politics, parenthood and the realities of middle age.
Awards and achievements
- My work in progress Satin and Tat was longlisted for the 2019 Laydeez Do Comics award and shortlisted for the Myriad First Graphic Novel Prize.
- 2017 saw the launch of my Draw The Line project website, bringing together more than 100 artists, each depicting a positive political action that anyone can take. In 2020 it became a book, which sold out within days of its first print run. Sign up here if you’d like to be kept informed about any second print run.
- In 2016, I successfully crowdfunded to bring a couple of Finnish artists to the UK, to give talks about Freedom of Information and comics to the Civic Tech and arts communities.
- My one-page strip Underdog won second prize in the Thought Bubble comic art competition in 2015.
- My comic about visiting Sweden as a very unconventional model for the clothing brand Gudrun Sjoden was given to every customer on International Women’s Day 2015.
- Longreads (website for in-depth essays, 2019)
- The Inking Woman (book, Myriad, 2018)
- Draw The Line (online project, worldwide, 2017)
- Illustrated Women In History (zine, UK, 2017)
- Salon of Rejects (zine, UK, 2016)
- Girlfrenzy (zine, UK, 1990s)
- Oh… comics (comic, Canada, 90s)
- Ladies of the Lakes (comic, 2017)
- Two Birds (comic, collaboration with Zara Slattery, 2016)
- Everything My Ten Year-Old Daughter Wore in November (comic, 2016)
- Hello World (comic, 2016)
- Dumb Meets Stoopid (zine, 1993)
Exhibitions, talks and activities
- Panel Show (exhibition, Sunnybank Mills, 2019)
- Panel Borders (podcast interview) (2019)
- The Inking Woman (exhibition, House of Illustration, London, 2018)
- Finnish Feminist Comics Residence (event/talk, Helsinki, 2018)
- LDComics presentations (talsk, London, 2018 and 2020)
- Caption (talk, Brighton, 2017)
- Gosh Comics (talk, London, 2016)
- In store event painting customers (Gudrun Sjoden 2015)
- Freedom of Information and Comics – I organised and chaired a series of four talks (Brighton, London and Hastings, 2016)
- Organised and ran the first few Brighton Sketchcrawls (2009)
- Mistresses of Line (exhibition, Brighton, 1996?)
- Cartoon County (exhibition, Sussex, 1993)
Festivals and conventions
- Lakes International Comics Arts Festival (Kendal, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Rose Tinted Spectacular Zine Fair (Brighton, 2017)
- Thought Bubble (Leeds, 2016)
- Comica (London, 2016)
- Instagram: @myfanwytristram
- Twitter: @mockduck
- Facebook: Myfanwy Tristram Illustrator
- WordPress (this site): over 7,000 subscribers; featured twice on Freshly Pressed